This article is Part 4 of a 4 part series on potential paths for opening content in HathiTrust.
A good path for opening UC volumes (or volumes where the copyright holder is known) is the HathiTrust Creative Commons Declaration Form (CCDF). The copyright holder of a HathiTrust volume may complete and submit a CCDF certifying that they are a copyright holder of the volume (or volumes) and that they authorize HathiTrust to share the works under the terms of their chosen Creative Commons license.
The HathiTrust Creative Commons Declaration Form has been used by colleagues at the University of California to open sizable collections of publications from the Scripps Institution of Oceanography and University of California Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources. The CDL has also collaborated with other institutions to use the CCDF to open collections of California Legislative Bills and New Zealand’s Hansard.
During the Covid19 shutdown, a librarian at UC Davis began contacting authors of UC Davis theses and dissertations to suggest that they open them for access using the CCDF. This effort has had incredible success - so far over 950 theses and dissertations have been opened!
It may be possible to open volumes for which UC owns the copyright using the CCDF. If you know of such a volume you would like opened for access, please file a ticket and we will see if we can help.
This article is part 4 of a 4 part series on Potential Paths to Opening Content in HathiTrust:
More Information about using HathiTrust’s CCDF
UC Projects and Resources
- Opening Ag Publications in HathiTrust (How-to website created by Emily Lin and Lisa Vallen at UC Merced)
- Opening UC Works in HathiTrust: How to Target Sets of UC Copyright-owned Volumes and Open them for Worldwide Access (UC DLFx presentation slides, May 2019)
- UC Libraries Open UC Publications for Worldwide Access in HathiTrust (CDL Info, June 2019 )
- A California Archive Project Provides Access to Historic Ag & Community Records (UC Food Observer, November 2018)
- Historic and Scientific Publications from the Scripps Institution of Oceanography now available OA via the HathiTrust Digital Library (CONDUIT, December 2018 )
- Rights Holder Creative Commons Declaration Form (instructions and fillable PDF - HathiTrust website)
- Creative Commons Licensing at Your Own Institution (March 2021 presentation - YouTube video)
- Opening Works via Creative Commons License in HathiTrust (May 2018 presentation - YouTube video)
Creative Commons Licenses
- About the Licenses (Creative Commons website)
- A Century of Agriculture Research Goes Online (Cornell Chronicle, May 2017)
- Set Your Agricultural Publications Free in the HathiTrust Repository (Journal of Agricultural & Food Information, December 2016)